October 28, 2018 12:26 am
Written by Byron Henry Jr
REUNION COMMITTEE REPORT – GENERAL MEETING, OCTOBER 27, 2018
ST. ROSE’S ALUMNI ASSOCIATION REUNION COMMITTEE REPORT GENERAL MEETING, OCTOBER 27, 2018
The reunion committee has been meeting regularly over the last year, and with the help of many committed alumni, we have made significant progress in planning for the 2019 reunion which will take place August 25-30, 2019 in New York City. The following is a brief summary of what has been accomplished to date:
1. MaximizeAttendance(Double Attendance of 2017 gala)
- Increase younger alumni Involvement (30’s, 40’s)
- Increase male alumni involvement
- Involve a wide cross-section of cultures
- Ensure geographical representation
“Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow!”
We have negotiated a room block at the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel in Queens. Registrants will be provided with a link to the hotel’s website as well as a phone number so that they can have access to the special rate.
Schedule of Events and Updates
1. Pre-Registration, Saturday, August 24, 2019 (Liaisons: Cheryl Alleyne, Lorraine Croft-Farnell)
- Pre-registration will take place in Brooklyn at a location to be determined, and will be an opportunity for early registrants to uplift their registration materials,
- Each person that pays registration fees will receive a tote-bag, t-shirt, name tag (with lanyard and holder), pen, and notepad;
2. Registration and Welcome Ceremony, August 25, 2019 (Liaisons: Pauline Roman-Willis and Brenda Bentt-Peters)
- This event will take place at the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel, Queens, NYC.
- Registration will be from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. followed by the opening ceremony at2:30 to 5:00; there will be a reception from 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- The program for the Opening Ceremony has been drafted with the goal of including significant involvement of the male alumni.
3. TriptoAfricanAmericanMuseum, Washington, DC(AllDay), August 26, 2019 (Liaisons: Pauline Roman-Willis, Beverly Drake, Hazelein Featherstone
- Buses will depart at 5:00 a.m. from the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel
- Buses have been booked and a deposit made
- We have been in touch with our contact at the museum who will coordinate tour(s) for our group.
- Boxed breakfast will be served.
- Lunch will be on your own
4. NYC Site-seeing trips including the U.N and Cultural Institutions, August 27, 2019 (Liaison Ingrid Thomas-Clark
- These activities are currently being planned and additional information will be forthcoming.
5. Multi-CulturalEvening, August 27, 2019 (Liaisons: MelanieFredricks, Yonette Exeter, Beverly Waldijk., Ingrid Thomas-Clark
- The event will take place at a church hall in Richmond Hill,
- The evening will include a fashion show representing the rich diversity of Guyana.
- The Toronto Chapter has agreed to participate in this event.
6. FamilyFunandSportsDay, August 28, 2019 (Liaisons: Compton Grose, Melanie Fredericks, Lorraine Croft-Farnell)
- This event will take place at Baisley Park in Queens
- Alumni representing various houses will compete in activities in a picnic atmosphere
- Various prizes will be awarded
7. Gala at Russo’sontheBay, August 29, 2019 (Liaisons: Ingrid Thomas-Clark, Naline Persaud, Denise Durant, and Brenda Bentt-Peters)
- Honorees have been confirmed:
- – Marilyn Trotz
- – Fatima Karim
- – Raymond McMillan
- – Enrico Woolford
- – MCCGUSA Ltd
- DJ Flex has been secured
- The committee has worked out many logistics and will begin marketing the event
- Tickets will be sold separately in addition to being part of the reunion package
- Speeches will be kept to a minimum so that there will be sufficient time for socializing
- Closing remarks will end the event
Business Meeting, August 30, 2019
- The website is actively being worked on
- Registration materials are expected to be ready by November 1st and early registration will begin.
- Sponsorship and seed support will be sought
- Beverly Drake is working on spreading the word about the reunion in the WashingtonD.C. area
- Brenda Bentt-Peters and Compton Gross are working on securing a vendor for the T-shirts and other paraphernalia.Respectfully Submitted by Pauline Roman-Willis on behalf of the Reunion Co-Chairs Compton Grose and Lorraine Croft-Farnell.